Canada’s Forests - Source of Life
Theme: Forest Sustainability
Grades: 4 to 7
Formats: 48-page booklet
Learn how Canada manages its forest resources to ensure economic viability, long-term sustainability and healthy ecosystems.
Using This Teaching Kit
Introduction to Sustainable Forests in Canada
Pre-Lesson Activity 1: Sustainable Forests Word Search
Pre-Lesson Activity 2: Searching for Signs of Sustainability
Lesson 1: The As and Qs of Forest Biodiversity
• junior students investigate factors affecting biodiversity (create and answer questions in quiz-show format)
Lesson 2: Diseases, Pests and Fires, Oh My!
• junior students gather information on negative effects on biodiversity in a forest (tags set out by teacher ahead of time; students record in chart)
Lesson 3: What Wood I See?
• junior students complete classroom and home inventory of wood products (chart, newspaper article)
Lesson 4: Shifting Boundaries
• intermediate students predict future forest boundaries using climate maps (map, presentation)
Lesson 5: Forest Connections – First Nations and the Forest
• junior students investigate how different tribes view forests (research, presentation)
Lesson 6: Water, Water Everywhere!
• intermediate students investigate how water is filtered (detailed experiment)
Lesson 7: Urban Trees for a Greener School
• junior students complete an inventory of school yard trees and an analysis of use, needs for future action (chart, map)
Lesson 8: And The Award Goes To…
• intermediate students investigate forest companies/organizations that exhibit innovative practices (research, class selection of award recipient)
Glossary of Terms
Volume 4: Canada’s Forests - Source of Life
Volumen 4: Les bosques de Canadá - Fuente de vida [Spanish]